Lemongrass is a beautiful, ornamental tropical plant perfect for edible landscapes that grows well in zone 8 or higher. It loves hot weather, full sun, and well drained, fertile soil. It contains compounds that can repel bugs (including mosquitoes), so it's a great option for planting around the perimeter of the house or patio area. It also is great to use as a mulch. Make sure to wear gloves when pruning or harvesting as the leaves are sharp!
Lemongrass has a unique, aromatic lemon citrus aroma.
Benefits of growing your own:
- Fresh and better quality
- More flavorful
- Organically grown (if you choose)
- Repels bugs (check out our bug off balm)
- Cost savings as store bought is expensive and sometimes hard to find
- More antioxidants
- Avoid micro plastics found in tea bags
Lemongrass Harvest Use Ideas (what we do):
- Fresh or dried for tea
- Marinades (our lemongrass chicken wings recipe coming soon)
- Add to soups
Gardening Products We Use: